Hi, I’m Alyson
I'm a writer and business owner, and I’ve been publishing content online since 2001.
By day, I’m the President of Starling Social Inc., a digital marketing agency specializing in process-driven content strategy, and the CEO & Co-Founder of HeyAlfa, an marketing automation tool for event creators.
By night, I blog here.
I’ve been writing as long as I can remember, and it’s always been a useful exercise in exploring my creativity, documenting my life, and flexing my rhetorical skills.
Blogging, as you may have guessed, is a big part of who I am. My blog is where I record my life. Where I make sense of my thoughts.
It's how I share myself with the world.
So, welcome! I hope you enjoy your time here.
Some things I'm proud of
- I ran a workshop for New Digital Marketing Strategies in 2020 with New Media Manitoba
- I was a mentor for Manitoba Music and Creative Manitoba's Digital Marketing Accelerator program
- * I ran a Social Media Strategies workshop with the Canadian Senior Artist Resource Network (CSARN)
- I ran a workshop about SEO strategies with Creative Manitoba and Manitoba Music
- I spoke about a book that changed my life at PechaKucha Vol. 38
- I was a guest storyteller in The Winnipeg Fringe Festival play "One Great Winnipeg!"
- I spoke at the Ad Association of Winnipeg's "Digital Day 2019"
- I was a spokesperson for The Coalition for Portage and Main (VoteOpen).
- I hosted two sold-out workshops with The Kinship Studio.
- I spoke at The Social School 2018.
- I presented on content marketing at the Engage! 2018 Digital Summit.
- I was a keynote speaker at TEDxWinnipeg 2017.
- I hosted a sold-out lunch and learn about using personal branding to land your dream job.
- I presented on using content marketing to increase sales at the Chill Out! Digital Workplace Summit
Older + ongoing
- I'm the Communications Director for TEDxWinnipeg
- I'm an annual speaker at Red River College's Creative Communications program.
- I was awarded a 2015 TechFutures Grant from the Province of Manitoba for my tech-driven business idea
- I'm the lead contributor to the MTS Business Hub, which was recently named #22 of the top 100 influential business blogs by BizHumm.com
- My blog articles are regularly republished on Mytoba.ca, a grassroots news organization for local news, sports and entertainment
- My article about my experience at the CEO Sleepout was republished on the Corydon Times website
- I was a panelist at the MBlog 2014 conference
- I write album reviews and conduct interviews for The Spill Magazine
- I was featured on Shaw TV as one of Winnipeg's Hottest Bloggers
- My post about my love of Winnipeg was featured as the Blog of the Week and published in the Winnipeg Free Press
"Portage & Main Press/HighWater Press has had the pleasure of working with the passionate and talented women of Starling Social for almost two years, quickly expanding a relationship that grew from a short-term arrangement into an ongoing retainer. During this time, engagement and following rose exponentially across all of the company’s platforms thanks to the relevant, timely, and interesting content created by this stellar social media firm."
Kirsten Philips, Director of Marketing, Portage & Main Press / HighWater Press
"Restaurants are hard to work with. We are at our busiest when most are ready to relax with friends and family, the smallest glitch can mess with best of plans. Most of all they are very personal. Working someone who can not only hear our unique voice, but is able to project it confidently, we have been able to reach a much larger and more diverse audience than I ever believed possible.
Working with Alyson has been an amazing experience, she has handled all the craziness will style and grace."
- Jennifer Strom, Owner, Trails North Grill
"Having been a fan of Alyson's online presence for some time, I recently engaged her services to support a new client project; directing the online copy and social media feeds for the new venture. So far the engagement has gone well and I would not hesitate to recommend Alyson to peers and other clients. She's an efficient practitioner who really understands these important marketing elements."
-Drew Gourdie, Founder, The Rivoli Group
"Alyson is a reliable, creative and resourceful writer. I know I can always count on her to hit the mark and consistently provide polished, well-researched written work. It's been a joy working with her over the past four years, and I know that she will always shine!"
- Mark Glucki, Wonderlab Media
"Alyson's work never fails to exceed expectations. I know I can always count on her to hit the mark and consistently provide polished, well-researched written work. It's been a joy working with her over the past four years, and I know that she will always shine!"
Stephen Lussier, Editor, The Spill Magazine
"Alyson delivers excellent copywriting and editing services for us and for our clients. She is always professional and a pleasure to work with.
Chris Karasewich, Managing Partner, ASAP Marketing
Alyson Shane is the internet. I want to be her when I grow up.
- Kieran Moolchan, Content Strategist & Blogger
Any other questions? You can always contact me, or tweet at me on Twitter. I can't wait to hear from you!